According to the current congregation…
“The Historic Chapel has a glorious history of survival. The northern two-thirds of the present building was built in 1774 as a transept to the original 1734 church. After the Revolutionary War, the church fell into disrepair and the original church was torn down and the southern third of the present building was added around 1825 to provide space for Hickory Neck Academy. The Academy also served various denominations as a place to worship before the Civil War. The war years were hard on Hickory Neck leaving it in near ruinous condition, but again, it was repaired and put back into service as a school. Eventually James City County erected a public school in Toano and our building was reconsecrated as an Episcopal church in 1917. “
Hickory Neck Church. “Historic Chapel Fund.” http://www.hickoryneck.org/historic-chapel-fund/ (accessed March 17, 2012).
Historical Marker “Hickory Neck Church W-30,” courtesy of Lindsey Smith, 2012.
“Hickory Neck Church,” Library of Congress, www.loc.gov (accessed May 2, 2012).
“Hickory Neck Church- Present Day,” courtesy of Lindsey Smith, 2012.